The event, titled “Central Honors Philando,” was held at Castile’s alma mater, Central High School. Castile graduated from the school in 2001. Prior to Sunday’s gathering, fellow alumni and community members had raised over $10,000. By the end of the evening, the event raised over $25,000.
“We all had a lot of rage and anger and grief, and we decided to channel that,” said Karla Basta, an event organizer who attended high school with Castile. “Central is a really loyal school, and this was all done by Central alumni.”
More than 500 people attended the event, which included music, food, and kids’ activities, according to The Tribune. The scholarship will go to an underprivileged Central student who plans to study education or child development. Many who attended the event were students who knew Castile personally; he was a food service worker at nearby J.J. Hill Elementary.
Castile was killed by officer Jeronimo Yanez during a July 6 traffic stop. Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, live streamed the aftermath of the shooting, igniting hundreds of protests around the country in the weeks that followed.
Yanez was placed on administrative leave directly after the shooting, but returned to work on August 17 in a “limited administrative role,” according to local outlet news KMSP and the St. Anthony Police Department.
Celebrities React To The Death Of Philando Castile
1. will.i.am expressed his frustration via Twitter.1 of 13
2. Ne-Yo shared his disappointment.2 of 13
3. Justin Timberlake chimed in.3 of 13
4. DeRay Mckesson’s soul was shaken by the video.4 of 13
5. Wiz Khalifa shares a message with the people.Source:Instagram 5 of 13
6. Ty Dolla $ign told how he was feeling.6 of 13
7. Busta Rhymes vented on Instagram.Source:Instagram 7 of 13
8. Diggy Simmons is still in shock.8 of 13
9. Comedian Loni Love vented her frustration.9 of 13
10. Chuck D has a suggestion.10 of 13
11. August Alsina shared his feelings on Instagram.Source:Instagram 11 of 13
12. 2 Chainz shared a deep message for the ‘gram.Source:Instagram 12 of 13
13. Kevin Hart tweeted his condolences13 of 13