Serena Williams’ influence spans past the sports world. She’s making a name for herself in the fashion industry as well. Last year Williams launched her own clothing line and this year she’s continuing to make power moves in fashion. According to CNBC, Williams has been appointed to join Poshmark’s board of directors.
Poshmark is an online platform created for people across the country to sell their new and used clothing, the news outlet writes. It was founded by Manish Chandra, Tracy Sun, Gautam Golwala, and Chetan Pungaliya in 2011. The marketplace sellers collectively garnered $1 billion since the company was founded. The company is valued at nearly $600 million. Chandra—who serves as the company’s CEO—says that he believes Williams can take the brand to the next level.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“What triggered my initial interest [in Williams], is there are very few people who have that focus on excellence. What we are trying to build is a very diverse, independent board, people who can guide us to the next level of growth,” said Chandra in a statement. “Seeing she had the right experience, and the passion for fashion, that’s the way we looked at it.” He also added that the platform was developed by a team of strong women like Williams.
The tennis star is beyond excited to join the Poshmark team. She said she’s been shopping on the platform for years. “I’m really excited to join Poshmark because it really speaks to my core values,” said Williams in a statement, according to Ad Week. “They really believe in so many different aspects of my life that I am not only living but I’m also preaching.”
Williams is using Poshmark as an avenue for social good. She recently built her own closet on the platform and the proceeds from purchased items will go to the Yetunde Price Resource Center; an organization that she founded in memory of her sister who was fatally shot in Compton in 2003. The organization provides resources and programs for victims of direct or indirect senseless violence.
A Complete Timeline Of The Jussie Smollett Investigation
1. January 22, 20191 of 24
2. January 29, 2019
2 of 24
𝗨𝗣𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗘: 'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Beaten in Homophobic Attack By MAGA Supportershttps://t.co/gtqDkd02sr— TMZ (@TMZ) January 29, 2019
3. Late January 30, 20193 of 24
4. January 31, 2019Source:WENN 4 of 24
5. February 1, 2019Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. February 3, 2019
6 of 24
Jussie Smollett speaks out at Los Angeles performance. pic.twitter.com/l8QZAQfubW— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) February 3, 2019
7. February 11, 2019Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. February 14, 2019
8 of 24
Asked why he didn't initially hand his phone to police, @JussieSmollet says: "I have private pictures and videos and numbers...private emails, my private songs, my private voice memos...by then inaccurate false statements had already been put out there." https://t.co/3HbyU2SFxe pic.twitter.com/4bycFHnlMp— Good Morning America (@GMA) February 14, 2019
9. February 15, 2019Source:WENN 9 of 24
10. February 16, 2019
10 of 24
JUST IN: Investigation into alleged attack on Jussie Smollett has shifted to whether actor staged incident, source says https://t.co/HaRFZnuLzv— NBC News (@NBCNews) February 17, 2019
11. February 20, 2019
11 of 24
Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony). Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury. pic.twitter.com/FhDcbBKsuU— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 20, 2019
12. February 21, 2019
12 of 24
UPDATE on #JussieSmollett— Mona Kosar Abdi (@MonaKAbdi) February 21, 2019
-Smollett turned himself in at 5:15 am this morning.
- He made a statement to police before being taken into custody
- Smollett is charged w/ one count of felony disorderly conduct for filing a false police report...punishable for up to 3 yrs in prison https://t.co/lGt2RvKTJl
13. February 24, 2019Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Later February 21, 201914 of 24
15. February 25, 201915 of 24
16. February 28, 2019Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. March 1, 201917 of 24
18. March 26, 2019Source:Radio One Houston 18 of 24
19. April 11Source:GlobalGrind 19 of 24
20. April 30Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. June 4, 201921 of 24
22. May 23, 2019Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. June 6, 2019
23 of 24
1. This is a portion of the 911 call placed on Jussie Smollett’s behalf.— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) June 5, 2019
The “beeps” you hear are redactions made before audio was released to the media.
Things like adresses, names etc are redacted. @cbschicago pic.twitter.com/jbqL8Io98F
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- 12 Gospel Artists Who Are Also Pastors [PHOTOS]
- 5 Inspirational Songs To Listen To When You’re Discouraged
- BET’s “Sunday Best” To Return To Television!
Serena Williams Appointed To Join Poshmark’s Board Of Directors was originally published on newsone.com