“We ask that the nation pray for the congressman’s recovery,” Arnold Reed, Conyers’ lawyer said, declining to share the details of the congressman’s condition but suggesting that it’s stress related.
The announcement of his hospitalization came after the TV appearance of a former staffer who accused Conyers, 88, of “violating my body.” It came to light on Nov. 21 that Conyers settled a sexual harassment claim with a former employee in 2015 for more than $27,000. Former staff members also accused him of making repeated sexual advances on female staff. The high-ranking, longest serving member of Congress allegedly requested sexual favors from the female staffers and allegedly transported other women to the District of Columbia with whom he was suspected of having affairs. The former staff member filed her complaint in 2014 with the congressional Office of Compliance. It accused Conyers of firing her because she declined his sexual advance.
Conyers acknowledged settling the sexual harassment claim but denied the accusations. Nevertheless, Conyers announced on Sunday that he’s stepping down as the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee while he’s under a probe by the House Ethics Committee for sexual harassment. Shortly after news of the settlement emerged, other women came forward with similar allegations, and voices began calling for his resignation. GOP House Speaker Paul Ryan called the report “extremely troubling,” and Michigan’s Republican Rep. Bill Huizenga was among the first to call for Conyers’ resignation. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has called for due process in Conyers’ defense.
- Former Bad Boy Rapper Black Rob Dead At 51
- Drop The Mic: TD Jakes Explores The Power Of Words In New Book [EXCLUSIVE]
- Wake Up & Win With Dr. Willie Jolley: Leave The Drama With Your Mama [VIDEO]
- Pure Comedy: Corinne Foxx Shares Her Top Five Embarrassing Moments With Her Dad Jamie Foxx
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
SOURCE: Detroit Free Press