10-Year-Old Colorado Girl Hangs Herself After Being Bullied At School
Ashawnty Davis' life ended too short when she committed suicide after a fight she was in was posted on the Internet.
Posted December 3, 2017
A ten year-old girl has killed herself after being severely taunted at her Colorado school.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
According to KDVR News, Ashawnty Davis, a bullied elementary school student, hung herself after realizing that a fight she was involved in was posted online.
Her mother, Latoshia Harris, said that the physical confrontation between her daughter and a bully was caught on tape while a group of other children just watched. Apparently, soon after, the incident was posted online leaving Ashawnty “devastated.”
“She was devastated when she found out it had made it to Musical.ly,” Anthony Davis, her father recalled.After the video was posted online, Harris added that the bullying only got worse.“My daughter came home two weeks later and hanged herself in the closet.”
Since her death, officials at the Sunrise Elementary School issued the following statement:
“We do not tolerate bullying of any kind in our schools and we have a comprehensive bullying prevention program in place at all of our schools. The safety and wellbeing of students is our highest priority and we strive every today to ensure schools are safe, welcoming and supportive places that support learning.
“We were made aware of that video when a media outlet approached us with it. We took immediate action in response, turning the video over to police and addressing the matter with students.
“It should also be noted that the video did not take place during school hours.”
Ashawnty’s parents want for others to know that “bullycide”—when a child commits suicide as a result of being bullied—is a serious problem in schools across the country.
“We have to stop it and we have to stop it within our kids,” Davis said.
They also hope that Ashawnty’s story will help save lives.
“I want other parents to know that it’s happening,” Harris said. “That was my baby and I love my baby and I just want mothers to listen.”
- Get Up Poll: Callers Talk About Their Favorite Apps [EXCLUSIVE]
- GRIFF’s Prayer: Lord Help My Male Friends To Find Shirts For Their Profile Picture [EXCLUSIVE]
- Ericaism: Trust The Process [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Faith Walking: I Lost My Hope [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
1. Adrian Robinson Jr. - 25 years oldSource:AP 1 of 21
2. Don Cornelius - 76 years old2 of 21
3. Chris Lighty - 44 years old.3 of 21
4. Junior Seau - 43 years old4 of 21
5. Phylis Hyman - 45 years old5 of 21
6. Christine Chubbuck - 29 years old6 of 21
7. Lee Thompson Young - 29 years old7 of 21
8. Nick Santino - 47 years old8 of 21
9. Paul Williams - 34 years old9 of 21
10. Roy Raymond - 46 years old10 of 21
11. Donny Hathaway - 33 years old11 of 21
12. Kenny McKinley - 23 years old12 of 21
13. Rob Pilatus - 32 years old13 of 21
14. Freddy E - 22 years old14 of 21
15. Jovan Belcher - 25 years old15 of 21
16. Millicent Lilian "Peg" Entwistle - 24 years old16 of 21
17. Freddie Prinze - 22 years old17 of 21
18. Moses Khumalo - 27 years old18 of 21
19. Albert Ayler - 34 years old19 of 21
20. Smiley Culture - 48 years old20 of 21
21. Nicky Thomas - 41 years old21 of 21
To lose someone you love is always difficult but for a person you know and care about to take their own life is even more difficult. The ones left behind after a suicide are haunted by questions that can never be answered...and the guilt that perhaps something could have been done to prevent such a tragedy. If you or someone you know needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.