Michael Slager, the former North Charleston police officer charged with the fatal shooting of Walter Scott, received a formal prison sentence on Thursday NBC News reports.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
U.S. District Court Judge David Norton found Slager guilty of second-degree murder and obstruction of justice. Slater will receive 20 years behind bars and two years of supervised released, according to NBC.
Judge Norton’s decision followed after Slager pleaded guilty to a federal civil rights case in May. Slager, who is white, opened fire after pulling over Scott, a 50-year-old Black unarmed motorist on April, 4, 2015.
Scott’s fatal shooting was a significant apex in the series of police shooting deaths involving deadly force used by police officers on communities of color. The chilling video of Scott’s profile fleeing while Slager fired in his direction stirred the Black Lives Matter movement in the midst of several FBI probes concerning the tactics and polices of police departments across the country.
Slager was fired from the department following an administrative leave. He was arrested and faced a jury trial for Scott’s murder, but plead not guilty. Slugger defense team argued that he feared for his life–in contrast to the utter fear Scott displayed as his blue shirt streaked through the trees before he was struck down.
In December 2016, a mistrial was declared in the case, prompting demonstrations and calls for justice. A scheduled federal and state trial were preempted after he plead guilty in the May 2017 civil rights case, ABC News reports.
Judge Norton’s ruling follows several days of testimony from witnesses and experts while both Slager and Scott’s family members sat in the courtroom.
- Dawn Strozier’s Tips For People Who Want To Lose Weight Quickly [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Ericaism: I’ve Fallen and I CAN Get Up [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Will McMillan Tells What Inspired Him To Cover James Cleveland’s “Best Thing” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Faith Walking: Planning with Preparation (#CountUpTheCost) [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
40 Black Men & Youths Who Were Killed By Police
1. Amadou Diallo, 221 of 28
2. Sean Bell, 23Source:Instagram 2 of 28
3. Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., 68Source:Instagram 3 of 28
4. Ramarley Graham, 18Source:Instagram 4 of 28
5. Trayvon Martin, 17Source:Getty Images 5 of 28
6. Kimani Gray, 166 of 28
7. Jonathan Ferrell, 24Source:Instagram 7 of 28
8. Omar Abrego, 378 of 28
9. Ezell Ford, 25Source:Mark Boster/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images 9 of 28
10. Dante Parker, 36Source:Getty Images 10 of 28
11. Jack Jacquez, 2711 of 28
12. Akai Gurley, 28Source:Getty Images 12 of 28
13. Tony Robinson, 19Source:Instagram 13 of 28
14. Walter Scott, 5014 of 28
15. Freddie Gray, 25Source:Instagram 15 of 28
16. Michael Sabbie, 35Source:Instagram 16 of 28
17. Delrawn Small, 3717 of 28
18. Alton Sterling, 37Source:Instagram 18 of 28
19. Philando Castile, 32Source:Instagram 19 of 28
20. Gregory Frazier, 5620 of 28
21. Tyre King, 13Source:Instagram 21 of 28
22. Terence Crutcher, 40Source:Instagram 22 of 28
23. Keith Lamont Scott, 43Source:Instagram 23 of 28
24. Alfred Olango, 38Source:Instagram 24 of 28
25. Reginald Thomas, 36Source:Instagram 25 of 28
26. Carnell Snell Jr., 18Source:Instagram 26 of 28
27. Joshua Beal, 2527 of 28
28. Kajuan Raye, 1928 of 28
Michael Slager Sentenced To 20 Years In Prison For Fatal Shooting Of Walter Scott was originally published on hellobeautiful.com