Unfortunately, the first few days of 2018 have been fraught with pastors accused of sexual misconduct. Though the #MeToo movement has to date focused mostly on sexual harassment in the workplace, it has not yet extended to a similar movement in the church community.
However, some prominent pastors have been accused recently of sexual assault, including Memphis megachurch pastor Andy Savage, who admitted the act to his church, but said he “repented immediately.” His congregation gave him a standing ovation.
Not so for Alabama pastor Camerius Mills, who received a 20-year prison sentence for raping a 15-year-old church member.
Via The Christian Post:
A repentant Alabama pastor who confessed to luring a 15-year-old member of his church into sexual acts with the promise of teaching her how to play the piano was sentenced to 20 years in prison Friday.
Pastor Camerius Mills was the 29-year-old leader of St. Paul’s Baptist Church when he was arrested in 2015 and charged with rape, sodomy, and traveling to meet a child for the purpose of unlawful sex. He had served in the position for about three years.
“He was a pastor and he had befriended this young lady in his congregation,” Sheriff’s Investigator Keith Cauthen, who arrested Mills, told the Dothan Eagle in the summer of 2016. “He picked her up under the pretenses on teaching her the piano.”
Cauthen said Mills first met the teenager when she started attending his church in November 2014. It wasn’t until February 2015 that Mills initiated unlawful contact.
“He knew better, he was a pastor. He befriended her and he took advantage of her,” Cauthen added. “With the Henry County Sheriff’s Office our goal is to protect the citizens, and we’re going to make sure he does not prey on anyone else again.”
Cada Carter, Mills’ attorney, had argued in court filings on behalf of his now, 31-year-old client however, that he was not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.
A mental evaluation completed in January 2016 showed Mills has a long history of marginal social adjustment and suffers from high levels of self-doubt and social anxiety. Mills was also shown to suffer from depression with psychotic features and Schizoaffective Disorder. At one point, Mills’ mother said she feared her son was suicidal.
Mills, who is a married father with two young children, admitted to having sex with the teenager and even showed remorse, officials said.
“I just want to say that I apologize and I hope God can forgive me,” Mills had publicly confessed after his arraignment.
- Jason Nelson Speaks On Why Pastors Need To Take Breaks [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Natalie Grant “You Cannot Be A Follower Of Christ And Have Any Seed Of Racism In Your Hurt”
- How Jekalyn Carr Is Celebrating Her 21st Birthday [EXCLUSIVE]
- Get Up Poll: Can “Get Up” Listeners Make Erica Campbell & GRIFF Laugh? [EXCLUSIVE]
- Mr. Griffin: When GOD Trusts You With Time [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Faith Walking: Don’t You Dare Do It Alone [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Jason Nelson: “ We Have To Learn To Voice God’s Opinions” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Ericaism: What Does Your Faith Say? [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Here’s What We Know About The National School Walkout Against Gun Violence
- GRIFF’s Prayer For Kids To Pass Their Tests [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
Behind the Scenes at The Willie Moore Jr. Show [PHOTOS]
1. The Manns
1 of 62
2. Willie Moore with Evelyn Lozada and her daughter
2 of 62
3. Mary Mary and Willie
3 of 62
4. No Malice and Willie
4 of 62
5. Willie and Jennifer Williams
5 of 62
6. William Mcdowell
6 of 62
7. The Hairstons
7 of 62
8. Dr. Ian Smith with Willie Moore Jr.
8 of 62
9. The Walls Group stopped by!
9 of 62
10. Willie Moore with the "Growing up Hip-Hop" cast
10 of 62
11. Willie Moore with the Ron Carter Academy
11 of 62
12. Trina and Willie Moore
12 of 62
13. Dick Gregory and Willie Moore Jr.
13 of 62
14. Evander Holyfield and Willie Moore Jr.
14 of 62
15. The Hairston's and Willie Moore
15 of 62
16. Tim of Sweetie Pie's and Willie Moore Jr.
16 of 62
17. Willie Moore Jr. and the Hudson brothers
17 of 62
18. Tweet and Willie Moore Jr.
18 of 62
19. Kim Fields and Willie snap a photo!
19 of 62
20 of 62
21. Willie and Kirk Franklin
21 of 62
22. Kirk and Willie battle in a test of who is taller!
22 of 62
23. Anita Wilson and Willie Moore Jr.
23 of 62
24. Marlon Jackson and Willie Moore Jr.
24 of 62
25. Sheryl Lee Ralph and Willie
25 of 62
26 of 62
27. Geoffrey Golden and Willie
27 of 62
28. Marcus D. Wiley and Willie Moore Jr
28 of 62
29. Anthony Brown and Willie
29 of 62
30. Real Talk Kim and Willie Moore Jr.
30 of 62
31. Willie Moore Jr. and Anthony Brown
31 of 62
32. Lyfe Jennings and Willie Moore Jr.
32 of 62
33. Willie and Vashawn Mitchell
33 of 62
34. Aaron Cole and Willie Moore Jr.
34 of 62
35. Alex Faith, Tim Bowman Jr. and Willie Moore Jr.
35 of 62
36. Tim Bowman Jr. and Willie Moore Jr,
36 of 62
37. Virtue stops by the studio!
37 of 62
38. Erica Campbell with Willie's sons
38 of 62
39. Erica Campbell and Willie
39 of 62
40. Erica Campbell and Willie
40 of 62
41. Erica Campbell with Willie's sons
41 of 62
42. Demetria McKinney stops by.
42 of 62
43. Tamar Braxton and Willie
43 of 62
44. Bizzle and Willie snap a photo!
44 of 62
45. Jonathan McReynolds performs in studio!
45 of 62
46. Egypt Sherrod with Willie Moore Jr.
46 of 62
47. Egypt Sherrod
47 of 62
48. Egypt Sherrod with Willie Moore Jr.
48 of 62
49. Willie and Kandi!
49 of 62
50. Gail Devers
50 of 62
51. Kandi Burruss
51 of 62
52. Another snap of Willie Moore Jr. with gospel star Tasha Cobbs
52 of 62
53. Willie and Kandi!
53 of 62
54. Willie Moore Jr. snaps a photo with his wife and son
54 of 62
55. Kandi Burruss
55 of 62
56. Willie with gospel singer Canton Jones
56 of 62
57. Willie Moore Jr. with gospel star Tasha Cobbs
57 of 62
58. Willie Moore Jr. with his wife and sons Peyton and Princeton.
58 of 62
59. Marvin Sapp in studio with Willie Moore Jr.
59 of 62
60. Marvin Sapp and Willie Moore
60 of 62
61. Willie Moore and Pastor Charles Jenkins
61 of 62
62. Willie with Wess Morgan and Bishop Dale C. Bronner
62 of 62