Elaine Welteroth, the youngest at age 31 and first-ever black editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, is stepping down from her position as after just nine months on the job.
Blog Fashionista reported that her departure was announced on Thursday to staffers in an internal email.
Publisher Condé Nast told the blog in a statement: “We talked to Elaine about a number of different opportunities, but ultimately she decided to go in a different direction,” and that, “We wish her all the best in what we know will be an incredible career.”
Since being named editor-in-chief in April, Welteroth was instrumental in steering the magazine’s print version into a more politically-engaged, woke publication, a movement that was launched by its digital team, according to Fashionista. The magazine ceased print publications in November.
So far, no word on Welteroth’s next chapter, but an exclusive by The Hollywood Reporter says she has signed with CAA, sparking further speculation she may be pursuing an on-camera career. Welteroth has previously made a cameo on “Black-ish,” and has also co-written an episode of its spin-off “Grown-ish.” Per THR, “CAA will work with Welteroth to expand her opportunities in film, television, digital, branding and endorsements as well as speaking engagements.”
Welteroth’s editorial career kicked off at Ebony, where she started off as an intern before climbing the ranks to land the position of beauty and style editor, a role she filled from 2008-2011. From there, she moved to Glamour in a similar role before joining Teen Vogue as the publication’s beauty and health director in 2012. When Welteroth was later named editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue, she was both the youngest person and only the second person of color to ever have held that title at any Condé Nast publication.
- How Israel Houghton & Adrienne Bailon Did On “Celebrity Family Feud” [VIDEO]
- Ericaism: Pray Like Your Mama & Daddy [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Dawn Strozier’s Tips For People Who Want To Lose Weight Quickly [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Ericaism: I’ve Fallen And I CAN Get Up [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Will McMillan Tells What Inspired Him To Cover James Cleveland’s “Best Thing” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Faith Walking: Planning With Preparation (#CountUpTheCost) [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- What Should Men Who Date Much Younger Women Be Called? [EXCLUSIVE]
- GRIFF’s Prayer For Women Blaming Their Edges Issues On Humidity [EXCLUSIVE]
- Chef Jernard Offers Tips On Cooking Tasty, Healthy Food For Your Partner That Satisfies Your Soul Food Cravings
- LeToya Luckett Opens Up About Married Life [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
Meghan Markle’s Most Fashionable Moments [PHOTOS]
1. MEGHAN MARKLE1 of 8
2. MEGHAN MARKLE2 of 8
3. MEGHAN MARKLE3 of 8
4. MEGHAN MARKLE4 of 8
5. MEGHAN MARKLE5 of 8
6. MEGHAN MARKLE6 of 8
7. MEGHAN MARKLE7 of 8
8. MEGHAN MARKLE8 of 8
(Photo Credit: YouTube)
Elaine Weltroth Departs Editor-In-Chief At Teen Vogue was originally published on blackamericaweb.com