Elaine Welteroth, the youngest at age 31 and first-ever black editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, is stepping down from her position as after just nine months on the job.
Blog Fashionista reported that her departure was announced on Thursday to staffers in an internal email.
Publisher Condé Nast told the blog in a statement: “We talked to Elaine about a number of different opportunities, but ultimately she decided to go in a different direction,” and that, “We wish her all the best in what we know will be an incredible career.”
Since being named editor-in-chief in April, Welteroth was instrumental in steering the magazine’s print version into a more politically-engaged, woke publication, a movement that was launched by its digital team, according to Fashionista. The magazine ceased print publications in November.
So far, no word on Welteroth’s next chapter, but an exclusive by The Hollywood Reporter says she has signed with CAA, sparking further speculation she may be pursuing an on-camera career. Welteroth has previously made a cameo on “Black-ish,” and has also co-written an episode of its spin-off “Grown-ish.” Per THR, “CAA will work with Welteroth to expand her opportunities in film, television, digital, branding and endorsements as well as speaking engagements.”
Welteroth’s editorial career kicked off at Ebony, where she started off as an intern before climbing the ranks to land the position of beauty and style editor, a role she filled from 2008-2011. From there, she moved to Glamour in a similar role before joining Teen Vogue as the publication’s beauty and health director in 2012. When Welteroth was later named editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue, she was both the youngest person and only the second person of color to ever have held that title at any Condé Nast publication.
- Family Members You Might Bump Into At A Black Funeral [VIDEO]
- Jonathan McReynolds Talks About Making Music People Can Relate To [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Anthony Brown Explains How God Pushed Him To Do The “I Got That” Music Video [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Joy Hill Speaks On How She’s Open To Love Again [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- How Joy Hill Found Her Inner Strength After Going Through Divorce [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Get Up Poll: How Do You Get Over A Breakup? [EXCLUSIVE]
- GRIFF Prayer: God Bless The Counselors [EXCLUSIVE]
- Why Kierra Sheard Started Her Own Clothing Line [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Ericaism: Fake Peace [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Faith Walking: Keep Your Peace Of Mind [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
Meghan Markle’s Most Fashionable Moments [PHOTOS]
1. MEGHAN MARKLE1 of 10
2. MEGHAN MARKLE2 of 10
3. MEGHAN MARKLE3 of 10
4. MEGHAN MARKLE4 of 10
5. MEGHAN MARKLE5 of 10
6. MEGHAN MARKLE6 of 10
7. MEGHAN MARKLE7 of 10
8. MEGHAN MARKLE8 of 10
9. MEGHAN MARKLE9 of 10
10. MEGHAN MARKLE10 of 10
(Photo Credit: YouTube)