Raise your hand if you’ve been personally victimized by your employer’s views on natural hair. Over the years, we’ve seen men, women, and kids discriminated against and completely disregarded because their natural hair was deemed unkempt, unprofessional, and unworthy of sharing space with the rest of the world.
Thanks to the CROWN Act (Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair), it is now illegal to discriminate against people with natural hair textures and styles. The first CROWN Act was passed in California in 2019, and since then, 20 states and 30 cities have adopted similar statutes.
Dove and LinkedIn are taking things a step further with a partnership that aims to empower natural hair in the workplace. #BlackHairIsProfessional is a campaign that shines a light on hair discrimination while forging the conversation to create inclusive spaces for all-natural hairstyles in the Black community.
NEW 2023 CROWN Research reveals that:
- Black women who wear their hair natural or in hairstyles inherent to their culture are perceived as less professional
- Black women’s hair is 2.5x more likely to be perceived as unprofessional.
- Natural hair and protective hairstyles can impact the hiring process
- Approximately 2/3 of Black women (66%) make a change to their hair for a job interview. Among them, 41% changed their hair from curly to straight
These alarming statistics indicate it’s time for change. Through this partnership, Dove X LinkedIn plan to:
- Provide all LinkedIn users free access to a suite of 10 LinkedIn Learning Courses that support a more equitable work environment, with a goal to educate 1 million hiring managers and workplace professionals by the end of 2023.
- Drive awareness of The CROWN Act across platforms, encourage petition signatures, and support the passing of The CROWN Act to help end hair bias and hair discrimination nationwide.
- Elevate and celebrate the real stories and voices of Black women professionals across the LinkedIn platform to help redefine what society declares “professional” for the workplace, because #BlackHairIsProfessional.
Want to do your part? Sign the petition! Spread the word.Learn More
5 Bible Verses To Help You Let Go And Let God
“I Was More Interested In Him Than I’d Ever Been With Anyone”: If You Ever Wondered What Eve Saw In Her Husband, It’s This [VIDEO]
BET+ Adds Erica Campbell, Michelle Williams & More To Season 2 Of ‘Kingdom Business’
Join "Get Up! Mornings With Erica Campbell" Morning Show Mobile Text Club!
What The Spiritual And Biblical Meaning Of 11 Is
Maysa Introduces New Song "Lord I Thank You" featuring Kirk Whalum [LISTEN]
Rest in Peace: Irish Grinstead of 90’s Group 702 Passes Away at Age 43
Kirk Franklin Shares How He Finds His Biological Father in His Documentary “Father’s Day”