According to TheWrap, the suit, filed in federal court in California by Shannan Lynette Wynn and Pastor Lester Eugene Barrie, states the two teamed up to create a TV drama called “Justice & Glory,” and they met with Oprah’s team at OWN in the fall 2014 to pitch their idea … and got great feedback.
According to the docs, OWN picked their brain for more ideas and versions of their pitch but eventually cut them off. Years later, they claim “Greenleaf” premiered and featured the exact same characters and storylines from their original pitch.
The suit calls the defendants’ actions “blatant” and “arrogant.”
“[T]hey didn’t even seek to hide the theft; they used the same character names, and copied verbatim unique and novel storylines, themes, subplots and the overall tone of the show. They even named their antagonist after Plaintiff Pastor Barrie (Pastor Basie in ‘Greenleaf’),” the suit reads.
“The setting of Defendants’ ‘Greenleaf’ is identical to that of Plaintiffs’ ‘Justice & Glory. ‘ Both shows are dramas that take place in the South and center around a powerful, African-American family dynasty and their sprawling megachurch,” the complaint adds. “The families of both shows live together in a mansion-style home sitting on a large plot of land, have private jets and live an affluent lifestyle. Their lives all center around the mega-church activities and people affiliated with the church in one aspect or another.”
Wynn and the pastor are asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.
- Jeannie Mai & Jeezy Expecting Their First Child Together
- Comedian Anthony “AJ” Johnson, Best Known For ‘Friday’ & ‘I Got The Hook Up,’ Reportedly Passes Away
- Haiti Wants ‘Humanitarian Moratorium’ As US Begins Sending 14,000 Migrants In Texas Back To Decimated Nation
- Issa Rae Wore $3 Eye Shadow To The 2021 Emmys And We’ve Never Related To Her More
- Michaela Coel’s History-Making Emmys Speech Won The Night
- Mississippi Governor Deflects From Having 2nd Highest COVID-19 Death Rate In The World
- As Aurora PD’s Racism Is Confirmed, Elijah McClain’s Mom Fears They’ll ‘Mess Up Again’
- The Guys from Issa Rae’s ‘Sweet Life: Los Angeles’ Use Their Platform to Promote Healing
- Wendy Williams Hospitalized For Psychiatric Evaluation While Also Battling COVID
- Video Shows NY Restaurant Deny Service To Family Claiming Religious Vaccine Exemptions