After decades of rumors, allegations and evidence susbtantiating claims of R. Kelly’s continuous sexually lewd interactions with women and girls throughout his career, WOC in Hollywood are finally taking a definitive stance against the disgraced R&B star: #MuteRKelly.
A TimesUp taskforce comprised of Ava DuVernay, Shonda Rhimes and other powerful women of color in the industry issued a statement today asking Live Nation and Sony Music to cancel R. Kelly’s tour dates and drop his recording deal, among other demands.
“A letter to our sisters. We as WOC of Times Up, recognize the responsibility we have to our sisters of all kinds, across all industries. We see you because we are you. We stand linked with our sisters and will no longer tolerate the predatory behavior of R Kelly to go unchecked,” actress Jurnee Smollett-Bell wrote on Instagram.
“This is a call to action to #MuteRKelly. His music must be turned down and the voices of these brave survivors must be heard. We’re calling on corporations that do business with him to cut all ties with R. Kelly and insist on safety and dignity for women of all kinds.”
Other celebrities retweeted the initiative in solidarity:
The demands come in the wake of famed radio host Tom Joyner announcing he will no longer play the ‘Chocolate Factory’ crooner’s songs on-air.
Kelly was also recently dropped from Ticketmaster’s May 5th “Pre-Mother’s Day Love Jam.”
- Watch: Shanta Atkins Releases Music Video For “Made Up My Mind”
- Feels Like Home: Israel & Adrienne Houghton Share Story Of How Their Supportive Marriage Encouraged Israel’s Album
- Healthy Ever After: How To Relieve Stress, Anxiety & Depression [VIDEO]
- They Got Next: Black Filmmakers To Watch
- The Jackson Water Crisis: Decades Of Disrepair, Disinvestment Frustrate Efforts To Restore Service In Mississippi
- Spike Lee Partners With HBO On 9/11 Documentary For 20th Anniversary
- Serena Williams And Olympia’s Latest Stuart Weitzman Campaign Is Giving Us The Feels
- Meghan Markle Wore A $4,700 Armani Dress During Tell-All Interview Special With Oprah
- Gov. Greg Abbott Announces Texas 100 Percent Open Starting March 10, Ending Mask Mandate
- Kelly Rowland Just Launched A Fashion Collection With JustFab And It’s Amazing
Black Hollywood Teams Up To Hold R. Kelly Accountable For His Alleged Crimes Against Women & Girls was originally published on hellobeautiful.com