It was the wedding that was trending around the world this weekend as a Philadelphia couple decided to join protestors after jumpin’ the broom.
According to Vogue, Kerry Anne and Michael Gordon were supposed to get married on May 26, 2020, but thanks to the coronavirus crisis their dream wedding got downsized to 25 guests, but it was still pretty grand as the couple took the time after saying “I Do,” to celebrate their love with the protestors outside the Logan hotel—and show their support.
“It would be really nice to join a protest,” Kerry Anne told Vogue, recalling when the hotel called her to tell her that their hotel was on the protest route. “We’re watching the movement; we’re feeling the movement. We hadn’t had the chance.”
Want news at your fingertips? Text “ERICA” to 52140 to join our club. (Terms and conditions)
Kerry Anne, who is an ob/gyn, told Vogue that after working a 12-hour shift, she had to hop into Sew Pretty Bridal Studio, to find a new dress because her original one was overseas. She ended up choosing an off-the-shoulder white dress by Sophia Tolli and Aminah Abdul Jillil heel, while her groom rocked a Michael Kors tuxedo and Kenneth Cole shoes.
View this post on Instagram
I had the honor of capturing this amazing moment when the Philadelphia Protest intervened our wedding shoot !! It was epic ! S/O to @luxorweddingfilms for capturing this moment and @marriedbyrevroxy ! Bride: @callmedoctor.p #teamwork #blacklove #blacklivesmatter #blacklovewins #blackweddings
Hearing the protesters outside while getting dressed, Kerry Anne felt inspired.
“We could hear the sounds in the air. We could hear the sounds of the helicopters above us. You could almost feel the energy around you, and in addition to that, we’re about to get married,” the Jamaica-native told Vogue.
“While I was getting ready in the hotel, and I’m reading over vows that I wrote five months ago, at that moment I was just so overwhelmed with emotion. We already had a lot built up inside because of the [protests over the past week]. So seeing that we were embarking on this together, and everything we’ve been through, and that now we’re on the forefront of America fighting for justice and trying to push for positivity and change, I’m not only proud as a Black woman and Black professional, I’m so proud of him to represent who we are as a people.”
While there was initial confusion among people on social media how this incident came about, Kerry and Michael had always planned to meet and share their first looks in their wedding garb on the hotel corner. It was when Kerry was waiting for him, did the protestors gather around her and chant. It was then did wedding photographer Linda McQueen capture some of these iconic images.
For Michael, that moment was magic.
“All of a sudden I started hearing the crowd around the corner, and I [realized] it was all for Kerry. I come running around the corner and I see Kerry standing with a circle of people around her just cheering, and she’s literally standing there looking like a Black princess. That’s all I see. These peaceful protestors, positive energy, cheering, yelling, people with their phones out taking pictures and videos,” he recalled.
“And Kerry’s just standing there looking beautiful as can be. And I walked up to her and took her hand, and she was shaking. The energy and passion and moment, everything that was going on, was just blowing through her. It was the most empowering thing to be there at that moment,” he says.
For the couple that met in a Philadelphia gym, to be able to share their love with their family, friends and the world has shown that Black love is a radical act.
“The narrative of love, of Black love, doesn’t always get put out there. But that’s what [the movement] is about, that’s what we’re looking for. Black love is a beautiful thing. Black love exists. Black love is powerful,” Michael stressed.
Congrats to the beautiful and happy couple!
See more pictures of Kerry Anne Gordan’s wedding day over at Vogue.com.
23 Powerful Photos Of Black Women Protesting
1. A female protester is arrested in Santa Monica during a...Source:Getty 1 of 23
2. World Reacts To George Floyd DeathSource:Getty 2 of 23
3. CANADA-VANCOUVER-RALLYSource:Getty 3 of 23
4. George Floyd ProtestsSource:Getty 4 of 23
5. US-POLITICS-POLICE-JUSTICE-RACISM-DEMOSource:Getty 5 of 23
6. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 6 of 23
7. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 7 of 23
8. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 8 of 23
9. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 9 of 23
10. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 10 of 23
11. People Gather In The Hague To Rally Against RacismSource:Getty 11 of 23
12. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 12 of 23
13. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 13 of 23
14. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 14 of 23
15. George Floyd Protest In BarcelonaSource:Getty 15 of 23
16. June 2nd Republic Day Celebrations In ItalySource:Getty 16 of 23
17. Demonstration For George Floyd In SydneySource:Getty 17 of 23
18. Demonstration For George Floyd In SydneySource:Getty 18 of 23
19. Demonstration For George Floyd In SydneySource:Getty 19 of 23
20. ISRAEL-US-POLITICS-RACE-UNRESTSource:Getty 20 of 23
21. ISRAEL-US-POLITICS-RACE-UNRESTSource:Getty 21 of 23
22. Solidarity Protest Against Anti-black Violence In The US And EU, In AmsterdamSource:Getty 22 of 23
23. Solidarity Protest Against Anti-black Violence In The US And EU, In AmsterdamSource:Getty 23 of 23
HEAD BACK TO GETUPERICA.COM
Jumpin’ The Broom! Couple Gets Married Amidst Protesters In Philly was originally published on hellobeautiful.com