Viola Davis is living out her 55th birthday while also reflecting on her humble beginnings as a woman who rose through poverty to become one of the most powerful and important actresses of her time.
The Oscar winner shared that she purchased the slave plantation she was born on in St Matthews, South Carolina, with her fans on her special day.
Want news at your fingertips? Text “ERICA” to 52140 to join our club. (Terms and conditions)
She shared a snapshot of the home with the following caption, “The above house is the house where I was born August 11, 1965. It is the birthplace of my story. Today on my 55th year of life…I own it…all of it,” she wrote.
“May you live long enough to know why you were born,” she wrote evoking a Cherokee birth blessing. The moment marks a powerful re-visioning for Davis and for Black families who are descendants of the Transatlantic slave trade, knowing full well that less than 80 years ago, Black people were still entangled in the poisonous net of slavery through sharecropping. Even today, Black families are unable to financially advance due to a series of systemic inequities.
Soon after Davis’ post went up, her friends and supporters began showering her with birthday well-wishes, while also taking in the powerful moment that the actress shared.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR APP AND TAKE US WITH YOU ANYWHERE!
“We all celebrate you, happy birthday Queen,” Lynn Whitfield wrote.
Taraji P. Henson wrote, “THANK GOD FOR THIS DAY!!!! Happy birthday beautiful Queen!!!
“Happy birthday sweet friend! May your life continue to inspire and your light continue to shine,” wrote Halle Berry.
Davis has spoken out about her upbringing, moving from St. Matthews, to Central Falls, Rhode Island, and the snowball effect of what living in poverty does to families every day.
“[I] realized we were poor,” she said in a 2019 interview with O Magazine. “But I was making my way through it. You either hope or you don’t. And it was hope and dreams that made me put my feet on the floor every morning and just approach every day with a sense of enthusiasm. It was my fight or flight that kicked in.”
Congratulations, Viola! We can’t wait to see what you do with your new purchase!
This article was originally posted on MadameNoire.com
10 Times Viola Davis Showed Up And Showed Out On The Red Carpet
1. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE 69TH ANNUAL PRIMETIME EMMY AWARDS, 2017Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE 90TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS, 2018Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE BRITISH ACADEMY BRITANNIA AWARDS, 2018Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. VIOLA DAVIS AT NBC'S 75TH ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS, 2018Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE ROME FILM FEST, 2019Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE 71ST EMMY AWARDS, 2019Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. VIOLA DAVIS AT TYLER PERRY STUDIOS GRAND OPENING GALA, 2019Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE EE BRITISH ACADEMY FILM AWARDS, 2019Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE 14TH ANNUAL L'OREAL PARIS WOMEN OF WORTH AWARDS, 2019Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. VIOLA DAVIS AT THE PREMIERE OF ABC'S "HOT GET GET AWAY WITH MURDER" SERIES FINALE, 2020Source:Getty 10 of 10
HEAD BACK TO GETUPERICA.COM
Viola Davis Purchased The Slave Plantation Where She Was Born For Her 55th Birthday was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com