Naomi Osaka won the U.S. Open while making a political statement and her rapper boyfriend, YBN Cordae rooted for her the entire tournament, while also making a political statement. So what if things got a little awkward during a post victory photo op?
Want news at your fingertips? Text “ERICA” to 52140 to join our club. (Terms and conditions)
Saturday was a lovely day for one of our favorite young Black couples, Naomi Osaka and YBN Cordae. Osaka, who paid tribute to Black lives throughout the US Open, wearing masks bearing the names of Breonna Taylor, Elijah McClain, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, and Philando Castile, respectively for each match, wore a mask adorned with Tamir Rice’s name Saturday. Rice was only 12-years-old when he was killed by police in Ohio in 2014.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR APP AND TAKE US WITH YOU ANYWHERE!
Cordae was wearing a Defund The Police tee as he watched Osaka win a 1-6 6-3 6-3 victory over Victoria Azarenka for her second US Open championship and third grand slam title overall. Naomi famously won her first U.S. Open match against Serena Williams in 2018. Last year Osaka took home the win at the 2019 Australian Open. Cordae’s reaction caught a ton of attention on social media. How cute is this?
But things did turn a little awkward for the couple when Osaka posed for photos with her coach and support staff. Footage from after the match showed Cordae, whose body language conveyed he wasn’t really sure he should be part of the photo. Osaka’s coach Wim Fissette ultimately pulled him in to joint the group but he obviously struggled over whether or not to hit a squat — then seemed totally at a loss as to what to do with his hands. Super awkward.
They’re so cute — we really can’t even laugh too much.
This article was originally posted on Bossip.com.
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?
1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US Open
2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam Cup
3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian Open
4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000
5 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000
6 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics
7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French Open
8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US Open
9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfit
10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot Championships
11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfit
12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004
13 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfit
14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day
15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian Open
16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French Open
17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson Open
18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian Open
19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US Open
20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US Open
21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US Open
22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian Open
23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio Olympics
24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics
25 of 25
Naomi Osaka Wins Big At U.S. Open While Supporting Black Lives Matter was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com