Former President Barack Obama is taking a break from vacationing and writing his memoir. Next week he will speak to students at the University of Chicago on Monday—this is his first public event since leaving the White House.
According to The Chicago Tribune, Obama and young leaders will hold a conversation on civic engagement and discuss community organizing at the university’s Logan Center for the Arts.
“This event is part of President Obama’s post-presidency goal to encourage and support the next generation of leaders driven by strengthening communities around the country and the world,” his office said in a statement on Friday.
The Chicago town hall comes just days before Trump’s 100th day in office, The Hill noted. But Obama has no plans on commenting on #45 during this event.
“It’s not in anyone’s interest … for [Obama] to become the face of the resistance or narrate the Trump presidency,” a source told The Hill earlier this month. “He’s acutely aware that when he speaks, he sucks up all the oxygen, and that suppresses the next generation of leaders from rising.”
And folks are excited for his comeback:
We miss you Obama!
11 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source:Getty 2 of 11
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. Remember when the Prez danced to Drake’s “Hotline Bling”?5 of 11
6. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source:Getty 8 of 11
9. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source:Getty 10 of 11
11. He gave us hope…11 of 11