According to a report from TMZ, Robert Yancy, the only child of legendary singer Natalie Cole, was found dead in his apartment located in California’s San Fernando Valley, on Monday night.
Yancy’s body was discovered by a friend who went to check on him after not hearing from him after several days. Authorities called Yancy’s family around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning to inform them that Yancy died of a heart attack. A formal autopsy and toxicology test will be conducted, but until then, Yancy’s cause of death is listed as “natural causes,” TMZ reports.
Family members were told by police that drugs played no role in his death and remain adamant that drug abuse was not a factor in his life.
His mother, however, struggled with drug addiction as an adult and openly talked about her path to sobriety, up until her death in 2015. Cole died of congestive heart failure. Yancy’s father, Marvin, died at the age of 34 from a heart attack, so ultimately, heart disease is a factor in the immediate family.
Condolences to Yancy’s family and friends at this difficult time.
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source: 1 of 14
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source: 2 of 14
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.Source: 3 of 14
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.Source: 4 of 14
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source: 5 of 14
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’Source: 6 of 14
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source: 7 of 14
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source: 8 of 14
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source: 9 of 14
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source: 10 of 14
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source: 11 of 14
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source: 12 of 14
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source: 13 of 14
14. A Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg passed away on March 22 due to complications from diabetes. He was 45 years old.Source: 14 of 14