R&B singer and broadway legend Stephanie Mills chatted with Erica Campbell for Healthy Ever After! She talked about raising a son with Down Syndrome, who is 16 years old and multi-talented. She looked back at when she first had her child, when the doctor told her that her child would be special needs, and even offered her the opportunity to abort the child. Stephanie talks about making sure you don’t toss a special needs child aside, explaining that she made sure he had resources and positive experiences from the beginning; doing yoga with him and traveling all over the world with him. She talks about his outspokenness and confidence, and making sure he doesn’t get treated differently.
Stephanie also talks about her frustration with police brutality, and encouraging love and mutual respect in the black community with her non-profit organization, “Love Your Worth.” She talks about being blacklisted for her outspokenness regarding injustice. Stephanie also talks about how her son has given her a new perspective on life. Click on the audio player to hear more in this exclusive interview from “Get Up! Mornings With Erica Campbell.”
Listen to “Get Up! Mornings With Erica Campbell” LIVE every weekday from 6/5am C.
RELATED: Stepfan Taylor On How Parents Can Help Their Kids Fight Obesity [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
RELATED: Debra Peek-Haynes On What She Got Rid Of To Make Her Household Healthy [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
RELATED: Love Talk: Parents, Don’t Provoke Your Children [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
Celebrating Stars That Wrote Children's Books
21 photos Launch gallery
1. Terrell Owens
1 of 21
2. Terrell Owens wrote 'Little T Learns To Share'.
2 of 21
3. George Foreman wrote 'Let George Do It'.
3 of 21
4. Jada Pinkett Smith
4 of 21
5. Jada Pinkett Smith wrote 'Girls Hold Up This World'.
5 of 21
6. Spike and Tonya Lee
6 of 21
7. They Also Wrote 'Please baby Please'
7 of 21
8. The couple wrote 'Giant Steps To Change The World'.
8 of 21
9. Alex Rodriguez
9 of 21
10. Whoopi Goldberg
10 of 21
11. Whoopi wrote 'Sugar Plum Ballerinas'.
11 of 21
12. Bill Cosby
12 of 21
13. Garcelle Beauvais wrote 'I Am Mixed' and 'I Am Living in Two Homes'.
13 of 21
14. Will Smith
14 of 21
15 of 21
16. Monyetta Shaw wrote 'The Adventure of Maddie'
16 of 21
17. Alicia Keys wrote 'Blue Moon'
17 of 21
18. Barack Obama
18 of 21
19. Barack Obama Wrote: 'Of Thee I Sing: A Letter To My Daughters'
19 of 21
20. Queen Latifah
20 of 21
21. Queen Latifah Wrote 'Queen Of The Scene'
21 of 21