LeBron James is approaching what he says will be one of his greatest moments in life. His school, I Promise School, will be opening soon in Akron, Ohio. I promise has over 300 students who are considered “at-risk,” just like James was in elementary school. Many times over the years, James has said, “I’m just a kid from Akron” and “I’m not supposed to be here, I’m supposed to be a statistic.”
I Promise School opens this fall third and fourth grade classes and will add first and second grade classes next year. By 2022 the school will have first through eighth grades. If they follow the curriculum correctly, James has also arranged for the students to have tuition free college at the University of Akron. How could anyone hate this man? He loves his wife and kids, he loves Jesus and he loves his community.
Listen to “Get Up! Mornings with Erica Campbell” 6am ET.
- Top Quotes From Bayard Rustin, The First Openly Gay Black Civil Rights Leader
- An Unexpected Pair: Barack Obama & Bruce Springsteen Launch New Podcast Together
- Urban One Submits A Proposal To Open First Black-Owned Casino in U.S.
- Expert Shares How All of Us Research Program Can Change Health Outcomes for Everyone
- James Fortune Debuts New Song With Isaac Carree, “It’s Gonna Happen”
- Houston Mayor Calls On Texas To Pay For Skyrocketing Energy Bills Following Winter Storm
- A Brief History of Black Sports Agents In Major Sports
- Eve Is Returning To Scripted Television In New ABC Pilot ‘Queens’
- Witness To Grace: Dr. Franklyn Richardson Discusses ‘Testimony of Favor’ In New Book
- Regina King To Star In Upcoming Shirley Chisholm Biopic