Simone Biles achieved another epic win on the floor—and for sexual abuse survivors—on Sunday (Aug. 19).
The Olympic champion gymnast, 21, won another title at the U.S. Gymnastics Championships 2018 at TD Garden in Boston during the weekend, The Associated Press reported. The achievement made her the first woman to win five U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Championships all-around titles. Her comeback routine after a post-Olympics break was riveting, with her performance also attracting attention because of her colorful leotard on day two.
The teal uniform worn and designed by Biles was her way of recognizing those who have lived through sexual abuse, including her own experience. Biles donned the color — designated to represent sex abuse survivors — after she revealed that she was one of the many victims of former USA Gymnastics Doctor and convicted serial child molester Larry Nassar.
[“The color] is for the survivors,” Biles said after she became the first woman in 24 years to earn the top score on every event on her way to a national championship. “I stand with all of them and I think it’s kind of special to unite [people].”
The idea to honor the abuse victims within the sport came to Biles eight months ago. By wearing the leotard and working hard to design it, she brought awareness to the survivors. Kerry Perry, USA Gymnastics president, failed to address the fallout of the Nassar scandal over the weekend in her first lengthy public statement since taking over last December. It’s currently unclear if or how USA Gymnastics will address the abuse and moving past it.
As USA Gymnastics decides on how to honor the survivors, Biles is celebrating her strong showing on Sunday. She posted a two-day total of 119.850, with an all-around score of 60.1 during the opening round.
- Anika Noni Rose Will Star In Showtime’s New Vampire Drama Pilot ‘Let The Right One In’
- Beyoncé and Lorraine Schwartz Award Three Scholarships to Increase Diversity in the Jewelry Industry
- Bodycam Footage Released of the Fatal Shooting of the Columbus Teen by Police
- Civil Rights Leaders Cautiously Rejoice After Derek Chauvin Is Found Guilty Of Murder
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty On All Charges In Death Of George Floyd
- Mental Health Professionals Discuss The Importance Of Detaching From Black Trauma
- Auntie Maxine’s Not New To This, She’s True To This: 5 Times Maxine Waters Took a Stand
- Vanessa Bryant Speaks On Ending Kobe’s Longtime Deal With Nike
- Smokie Norful Teams Up With Illinois State To Offer COVID-19 Vaccines To 1,000 Chicago Residents
- Memorial Service For DMX Will Be Family & Friends Only
She’s Still Got It! Simone Biles Salutes Abuse Survivors In Epic Comeback was originally published on newsone.com