Queen Latifah has broken barriers in both the music and entertainment industries and now she plans on doing the same in real estate. In an effort to level the playing field when it comes to housing equity in her hometown of Newark, the Star actress is creating an affordable housing complex in the city, NJ.com reported.
The project—which is reportedly going to cost $14 million—will be a community of multi-family townhouses, the news outlet writes. The homes—which will be located on Springfield Ave. and South 17th Street—will include 20 three-family townhomes and an additional mix-use building that will have 16 units. The mix-use building will feature a fitness center and commercial space that will be used by nonprofit organizations. 60 of the units will be market rate starting with a price of $1,800 and 16 of the units will be affordable and based on an individual’s income.
The project is being led by BlueSugar Corporation—where Latifah serves as co-president—and GonSosa Development. BlueSugar Corporation has been on a mission to revitalize struggling neighborhoods across the country and GonSosa Development has reconstructed and developed over 1,000 units.
There is a need for affordable housing in Newark and those who are involved in the project are excited about making change. “They understand how difficult it is to make ends meet for many residents and want to be part of the solution. They remain dedicated to making life better in communities like Newark,” said Cristina Pinzon who serves as a spokeswoman for the developers. Like other cities across the country, Newark is experiencing an affordability crisis where many longtime residents are at risk of being displaced due to gentrification.
News about Queen Latifah’s plans comes nearly a month after NFL star Marshawn Lynch shared that he was going to purchase real estate in his hometown of Oakland so that people who have lived in the community for decades wouldn’t be pushed out.
A Complete Timeline Of The Jussie Smollett Investigation
1. January 29, 20191 of 24
2. Late January 30, 20192 of 24
3. January 31, 2019Source:WENN 3 of 24
4. February 1, 2019Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. February 3, 20195 of 24
6. February 11, 2019Source:Getty 6 of 24
7. February 14, 20197 of 24
8. February 15, 2019Source:WENN 8 of 24
9. February 16, 20199 of 24
10. February 20, 201910 of 24
11. February 21, 201911 of 24
12. February 24, 2019Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Later February 21, 201913 of 24
14. February 25, 201914 of 24
15. February 28, 2019Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. March 1, 201916 of 24
17. March 26, 2019Source:Radio One Houston 17 of 24
18. April 11Source:GlobalGrind 18 of 24
19. April 30Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. June 4, 201920 of 24
21. May 23, 2019Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. June 6, 201922 of 24
23. June 24, 201923 of 24
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- 12 Gospel Artists Who Are Also Pastors [PHOTOS]
- 5 Inspirational Songs To Listen To When You’re Discouraged
- BET’s “Sunday Best” To Return To Television!
Queen Latifah To Create Affordable Housing Complex In Newark was originally published on newsone.com