Muhammad Ali’s latest hospitalization may be more serious than his previous hospital stays, two people familiar with his condition tell the Associated Press.
Ali, 74, has been in the hospital since Thursday battling respiratory issues. The boxing legend, considered to be one of the world’s greatest athletes, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in the 1980s. Over the years, Ali has been hospitalized a handful of times, most recently last year to treat a urinary tract infection and in December 2014 with pneumonia.
While Ali spokesperson Bob Gunnell says he is in fair condition at a Phoenix area hospital, sources tell the AP his condition may be more serious, worrying family members and fans alike.
From USA Today:
Gunnell, in an interview with Gannett’s (Louisville) Courier-Journal, downplayed the report and said each Ali hospitalization causes a “media frenzy.” He said Ali’s condition remained the same, but declined to provide further details.
In recent years, the boxing legend’s public appearances have been scarce — in April during the Celebrity Fight Night dinner in Phoenix (an annual event to raise funds for Parkinson’s treatment and research), he was photographed wearing sunglasses and appeared “frail,” USA Today reports. His last formal public appearance was at the Sports Illustrated Tribute to Muhammad Ali at The Muhammad Ali Center in October.
The Greatest Muhammad Ali Pictures Of All Time (PHOTOS)
1. Muhammad Ali of the USA relaxes at home in Deer Lake, Pennsylvania, USA.Source:Getty 1 of 21
2. FEBRUARY 25, 1964: Cassius Clay (aka Muhammad Ali) talks into a reporter’s mic after defeating Sonny Liston, not pictured in a World Heavyweight Title fight February 25, 1964 at Convention Hall in Miami, Florida.Source:Getty 2 of 21
3. FEBRUARY 25, 1964: Cassius Clay (aka Muhammad Ali) talks into a reporter’s mic after defeating Sonny Liston, not pictured in a World Heavyweight Title fight February 25, 1964 at Convention Hall in Miami, Florida.3 of 21
4. Muhammad Ali in the dressing room before a fight.Source:Getty 4 of 21
5. Supremely confident American boxer Cassius Clay holds up five fingers in a prediction of how many rounds it will take him to knock out British boxer Henry Cooper.Source:Getty 5 of 21
6. Pre-Fight Ritual.Source:Getty 6 of 21
7. The Champ.Source:Getty 7 of 21
8. Boxing legend Muhammad Ali rides a golf cart onto the field to represent the Louisville Cardinals for the coin toss against the Florida Gators prior to the start of the Allstate Sugar Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Superdome.Source:Getty 8 of 21
9. Say it loud!Source:Getty 9 of 21
10. The Greatest.Source:Getty 10 of 21
11. Will Smith and Ali on stage together to promote the biopic based on his life.Source:Getty 11 of 21
12. Halle Berry and Muhammad Ali.Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. Jennifer Lopez and Muhammad Ali.Source:Getty 13 of 21
14. Muhammad Ali signing autographs in the NY Hilton Hotel; circa 1990; New York.Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. Reading on the plane.Source:Getty 15 of 21
16. The champ getting his grub on.Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. Come on in.Source:Getty 17 of 21
18. Getting ready.Source:Getty 18 of 21
19. Muhammad Ali photographed at his training camp in Pennsylvania, circa 1974.Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. Muhammad Ali on 42nd Street circa 1970s in New York City.Source:Getty 20 of 21
21. After a night of making Denver, and Sonny Liston in particular, aware of his presence, Cassius Clay and troupe found accommodations at the Albany Hotel. The Denver Post caught him in bed Tuesday morning asking for the time of day and telling hotel employees what a great night he had Monday on the Liston home’s front lawn.Source:Getty 21 of 21