The loss of celebrated actor Chadwick Boseman to cancer last year is still hard for many to fathom, but his memory is continuing to live on in ways that are sure to last forever.
Following the renaming of its College Of Fine Arts center after the Black Panther actor, Howard University went further in honoring the school’s late alumnus by establishing a multimillion-dollar scholarship in his name with help from streaming giant Netflix.
Want news at your fingertips? Text “ERICA” to 52140 to join our club. (Terms and conditions)
The official Chadwick A. Boseman Memorial Scholarship consists of $5.4 million and will cover four years of tuition for students attending the Fine Arts center named after him. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Netflix will act as the inaugural scholarship donor and award one incoming freshman annually with the scholarship. To kick things off for this year, one award has been issued for each class year: freshman musical theatre major Sarah Long, sophomore acting major Shawn Smith, junior theatre arts administration major Janee’ Ferguson, and senior dance major Deirdre Dunkin each made history as first-ever recipients.
More details on how the Chadwick A. Boseman Memorial Scholarship will operate, via THR:
“‘This scholarship embodies Chadwick’s love for Howard, his passion for storytelling and his willingness to support future generations of Howard students,’ Howard president Wayne A.I. Frederick said in a statement. ‘I am thankful for the continuous support and partnership of Chadwick’s wife, Mrs. Simone Ledward-Boseman, and to Netflix for this important gift.’
The Boseman scholarship will preferentially consider students in the dramatic arts, and those who exemplify the late actor’s values, described as:
- A Drive for Excellence: Students who are continuously working toward improvement and putting in time above and beyond the basic requirements. This includes engagement in academic departments, campus or community organizations.
- Leadership: Students who have the personal fortitude to do what is right, even when this means they are in the minority. They exhibit honesty and are trustworthy, caring and ethical. They keep their word and honor their commitments while accepting consequences and admitting their mistakes.
- Respect: Students who treat others fairly. They listen to and accept input from others. They maintain self-control and exhibit consideration for the things and people that they encounter.
- Empathy: Students who show kindness and understanding toward all those they encounter and actively listen in an effort to understand the unique experiences of others. They advocate for their community by identifying needs and working to meet them.
- Passion: Students who show an ardent desire to absorb all aspects of the art of storytelling. They understand the deeply rooted, critical importance of storytellers as cultural historians and aspire to inform, uplift and strengthen their community through their work.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM.
As we continue to mourn the late Hollywood star along with those he’s influenced over the years, it’s heartwarming to know the name Chadwick Boseman won’t be soon forgotten by the world and more specifically future HU graduates.
Howard University Honors Chadwick Boseman By Renaming College Of Fine Arts After The Late Actor
He Deserved More: Why Chadwick Boseman’s Posthumous Oscar Loss Hurts
HEAD BACK TO GETUPERICA.COM
Netflix Honors Chadwick Boseman With $5.4 Million Scholarship In His Name At Howard University was originally published on blackamericaweb.com
5 Bible Verses To Help You Let Go And Let God
Tamela Mann Is Number 1 On Billboard’s Gospel Air Play Chart (Week of March 25, 2023)
GoFundMe For Irvo Otieno Slow To Gain Traction As Family Prepares For Funeral
What The Spiritual And Biblical Meaning Of 11 Is
Jonathan Majors Video Evidence, ‘Woman Recanting’ Assault Claim Will Clear Actor Of Charges, Lawyer Says
University Of Kentucky ‘Karen’ Pleads Not Guilty To Racist Attack On Black Student Despite Video Evidence
Meet The Houston Family Behind The Viral YouTube Children’s Show ‘Gracie’s Corner’
Happy Women’s History Month! Here’s 8 Scriptures For Women