Atlanta is a Mecca for Black people and the home of a brand new African-American mayor in Keisha Lane Bottoms. But unfortunately, Atlanta is also a hotbed for criminal activity, especially carjackings. In this latest case, though, a mother was very lucky that a quick trip to a gas station convenience store didn’t end in tragedy when two teens stole her SUV with her children in the car.
The car theft happened Wednesday at a Clayton County gas station.
A woman told police she left her vehicle running when she ran into the Quik Trip on Riverdale Road.
Police said there were two children, a 4-year-old and a 1-month-old, in the back seat when someone jumped in the car and took off.
The 4-year-old girl, Arya, was dropped off on the side of the road shortly after, police said. The 1-month-old girl, Ava, was still in the car.
Ava was later found by a Channel 2 Action News photographer on the side of the road. The baby was taken to a hospital, where she was treated.
The Clayton County Sheriff’s Office announced Friday that they arrested two people, Khyree Swift, 17, and an unidentified 16-year-old, and charged them with kidnapping, theft by taking, theft by receiving stolen property and cruelty to children.
Investigators said the 16-year-old told them he and Swift planned to steal the car with another person that police are still looking for.
Police said unreleased QT surveillance video shows a carload of people pulling up to the gas station in a silver sedan. One person jumps out of the car and into the mother’s car.
“The two we have in custody are not admitting to being in the victim’s vehicle,” Maj. Craig Hammer said.
Warrants reveal the victim’s sister used the “Find My iPhone” app to locate the iPhone and iPad that were in the car. Investigators found them in Swift’s house, less than two miles from where the driver dumped the stolen SUV. Swift said he was just trying to buy the devices from the 16-year-old.
Swift made his first appearance in court Friday morning. He was denied bond.
After leaving the courtroom, Swift’s father told Channel 2’s Nicole Carr that his son is innocent.
“My child didn’t do nothing. He’s just a friend,” the father sai
— Tom Jones (@TomJonesWSBTV) January 19, 2018
- White Supremacist Who Ran Over Anti-Racism Protester Heather Heyer Found Guilty Of Murder
- TV One Premieres “Living By Design” Holiday Special With Jake Smollett, Jazz Smollett & Ledisi This Weekend [VIDEO]
- Y’Anna Crawley Shares How Putting Aretha Franklin On Her Vision Board Every Year Made Her Want To Record “How I Got Over”
- EJ Bradford’s Family Lawyers Make Progress In Shooting Investigation As Questions Linger
- Get Up! News Roundup: Derrick Fisher Lands Job With LA Sparks, BET Celebrates Quincy Jones This Weekend & More
- Queen Naija Accused Of Swiping Pastor John P. Kee’s Melody For Her Hit “Karma,” Lawsuit Threatened
- Michelle Williams Announces Breakup From Chad Johnson
- Film To Be Made About The Alleged Burial Cloth Of Jesus Christ
- Jonathan McReynolds, Tori Kelly & Jekalyn Carr Lead The 2019 Gospel Grammy Nominations
- Grand Opening, Grand Closing: Kevin Hart Steps Down As Oscars Host
Teens Arrested After Carjacking SUV With Two Children Inside was originally published on blackamericaweb.com