A report by KHOU sparked by an insider tip investigated numerous claims of racial profiling, involving a fourth grade math teacher at Mandarin Immersion Magnet School in Houston, Texas.
On Thursday, the Houston School District confirmed they’re investigating serious allegations raised by parents who say a local teacher is unfairly giving Black and brown students lower grade marks. Parents accuse the teacher of giving higher marks to white and asian students.
Mandarin Immersion Magnet School is an elementary school where students are taught primarily in Mandarin as well as in English.
KHOU reporter Janel Forte posted a video to Facebook saying that most of the students who received lower marks from the teacher are now in summer school. Forte also said that nine parents have come forward to say their children were profiled.
“HISD is looking into these allegations and is taking appropriate measures to address parents’ concerns,” a statement from a HSID spokesperson read. The district has taken administrative actions to address these issues and will also require all teaching personnel to take cultural proficiency training as a part of the teacher pre-service training in August and throughout the year. ”
According to KHOU, parents met with district officials two weeks ago to discuss the harmful effects that the alleged profiling had on their children’s self-esteem. The meeting lasted for an hour, where parents urged officials for answers and a resolution.
HISD has not yet released the teacher’s name as the investigation continues.
- GRIFF’s Prayer: Calling Card Trouble [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Travis Greene Debuts New Song “See The Light” With Jekalyn Carr [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Attaching Your Dreams To A Musical Message Can Keep You Motivated [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Suspected White Supremacist Who Killed 18-Year-Old Nia Wilson Indicted By Grand Jury
- Savannah State Eyes Layoffs Amid Decline In Student Enrollment
- I’m Good Beloved, Enjoy: Rihanna Declines Super Bowl Halftime Show In Support Of Colin Kaepernick
- African Americans Who Lead HIV Diagnoses May Get Game-Changing Treatment
- Kirk Franklin’s Biological Father Passes Away [EXCLUSIVE]
- Mr Griffin: Take Somebody To The Doctors Office [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Trump Loses To Obama With Student Debt Relief Ruling On For-Profit Colleges
Houston Teacher Under Fire After Parents Say Children’s Grades Were Based On Race was originally published on hellobeautiful.com