Starting this school year, High School students in Texas will receive a class, paired with a 16-minute video, that aims to teach them how to deal with law enforcement during a traffic stop.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
CNN reports, the Community Safety Education Act, Senate Bill 30 was signed into law by the 85th Texas Legislature to help ease tensions between police and students due to the multiple shootings by police of unarmed citizens.
“We did not feel that we could stand idly by as these tragic incidents that erode public confidence and create distrust for law enforcement continue to occur without making an effort that could ultimately help save lives,” the author of the bill, state Sen. Royce West, said in a press release in 2017, when the bill passed the Texas Senate.
The video features two different traffic stops, one is example of how not to interact with officers, (this one shows two young white women behind the wheel, interacting with black police officers), and one that’s a “good” example of how to behave during a traffic stop (this one shows a man who appears Latino, with a black female cop and a white male officer). It also features an extended question and answer portion with a diverse group of Texas high school students and police officers.
The questions include:
- What does an officer expect to see when he approaches our car? (Short answer: Not sure, but keep your hands visible and don’t move around.)
- What happens if I don’t have my driver’s license, will I get arrested? (Short answer: Maybe. But probably not. But maybe.)
- Do I have to get out of my car? I’m not a criminal? (Short answer: You getting out of the car is for the officer’s safety.)
Watch the full video above.
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- Deitrick Haddon Pens Three Songs On Usher’s New Album, ‘A’
- 7 Gospel Singers Who Went From Singing Background To Going Solo
- Kirk Franklin’s Biological Father Passes Away
- 12 Gospel Artists Who Are Also Pastors [PHOTOS]
This Is the Police Interaction Video Texas Students Must Watch to Graduate High School was originally published on blackamericaweb.com
5 Bible Verses To Help You Let Go And Let God
Tamela Mann Is Number 1 On Billboard’s Gospel Air Play Chart (Week of March 25, 2023)
GoFundMe For Irvo Otieno Slow To Gain Traction As Family Prepares For Funeral
What The Spiritual And Biblical Meaning Of 11 Is
Jonathan Majors Video Evidence, ‘Woman Recanting’ Assault Claim Will Clear Actor Of Charges, Lawyer Says
University Of Kentucky ‘Karen’ Pleads Not Guilty To Racist Attack On Black Student Despite Video Evidence
Meet The Houston Family Behind The Viral YouTube Children’s Show ‘Gracie’s Corner’
Happy Women’s History Month! Here’s 8 Scriptures For Women