Sadly, we lost another unarmed Black man at the hands of police this week.
On Sunday, 22-year-old Stephon Clark was holding a cell phone in his grandmother’s backyard in Sacramento when officers mistook for a gun and fired 20 shots at the kid. Is it just us, or the whole “I thought he had a gun” excuse is getting redundant and implausible. We heard the same thing regarding the murders of Tamir Rice and Oscar Grant just to name a few.
Former Sacramento Kings star DeMarcus Cousins may be a Pelican now but a piece of him is still back in the Sac. According to reports, he reached out to the family of Stephon Clark to cover the cost of the funeral. Back in 2015, Cousins covered the funeral costs for a local high school football player, Jaulson “JJ” Clavo, who was gunned down.
DeMarcus isn’t the only athlete looking to help the Clark family. Sacramento native Matt Barnes sent out his thoughts and prayers for the family, asking anyone who knew the family to send him a direct message.
Hundreds of people hit the streets this week to protest the senseless murder. No word yet on whether or not the cops involved will face any consequences. Although we’ve seen this whole story play out before, hopefully this time there’s an alternate ending.
RIP Stephon Clark.
- Fred Hammond Recalls The Day Aretha Franklin Was Crowned The Queen Of Soul [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Pastor John Gray Speaks About People In The Church Not Extending Grace And Mercy After Meeting With Donald Trump [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- GRIFF’s Prayer For The Woman That Cried After Dropping Off Her High School Senior [EXCLUSIVE]
- Did You Know Aretha Franklin’s First Album Was Gospel?
- Faith Walking: Holy Spirit In My Business [EXCLUSIVE]
- Pastor John Gray Talks About Why He Met With Donald Trump [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Macy Gray On Aretha Franklin: “I Think She Knew She Was The Greatest” [EXCLUSIVE]
- Aretha Franklin, The Queen Of Soul, Dies At 76
- Cathy Hughes Heartwarming Statement About The Passing Of Aretha Franklin
- GRIFF’s Prayer: “LiveBeat Dads” [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
NBA Stars Offered To Pay For Stephon Clark’s Funeral was originally published on globalgrind.com