Nearly 55 years ago, civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his revered “I Have a Dream” speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. On Saturday, during the March for Our Lives protest against gun violence his legacy shined through the words of his 9-year-old granddaughter, Time reported.
After Parkland student Jaclyn Corin spoke about the need for more gun control, Yolanda Renee King—the daughter of Martin Luther King III—took the stage before scores of protestors and tied the message that her grandfather delivered in his speech over five decades ago to the need to make change in efforts to protect the nation’s youth, the news outlet writes.
“My grandfather had a dream that his four little children will not be judged by the color of the skin, but the content of their character,” said Yolanda. “I have a dream that enough is enough. And that this should be a gun-free world, period.” Her aunt Bernice King was in attendance as well. Following the protest, King took to Facebook to share how proud she was of her niece writing “My niece, Yolanda Renee King, truly represented the King family.”
Watch Yolanda Renee King’s speech below.
Several youngsters took the stage at March for Our Lives to call for more action to be taken surrounding gun control. An 11-year-old elementary school student named Naomi Wadler brought attention to the fact that the gun-related deaths of Black women often go overlooked. “I am here to acknowledge and represent the African-American girls whose stories don’t make the front page of every national newspaper, whose stories don’t lead on the evening news,” said Wadler during her speech. “I represent the African-American women who are the victims of gun violence who are simply statistics instead of vibrant, beautiful girls full of potential.”
- Jonathan McReynolds Talks New Album ‘You Have To Understand That God’s In Charge’
- Healthy Ever After: Dr. Flava Gives Foods To Boost Your Immune System
- GRAMMY Award-winning Gospel Artist, Erica Campbell, Celebrates A New Career Milestone As She Preps The Release Of Her Next Album
- Quinta Brunson Signs Overall Deal With Warner Bros. TV
- ‘Defund The FBI’: Republicans Are Really Losing Their Minds Over The FBI Raid Of Mar-a-Lago
- Bishop TD Jakes, Woman, Thou Art Loosed! Returns “Home” to Atlanta for Grand Finale Sept. 22-24
- Halle Bailey Owns The Cover Of Variety Magazine’s Power Of Young Hollywood Issue
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp Accused Of Receiving $1 Million From ‘Segregationists’ Schools In New Political Ad
- Kathy Hilton Mistakes Lizzo For ‘Precious’ Star Gabourey Sidibe On ‘Watch What Happens Live’
- Al Sharpton To Deliver Eulogy In Funeral For Brianna Grier, Ben Crump To Deliver Call To Action
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Granddaughter Delivered Powerful Speech At March For Our Lives [VIDEO] was originally published on newsone.com