Zoe Saldana revealed she’s been dealing with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune disorder which causes the immune system to attack the thyroid.
“Your body doesn’t have the energy it needs to filter toxins, causing it to believe that it has an infection, so it’s always inflamed,” the 38-year-old actress shared with The Edit. “You create antibodies that attack your glands, so you have to eat clean.”
According to the Mayo Clinic, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the United States. It mostly affects middle-aged women, but it can also affect men and women of all ages, as well as children.
When living with the autoimmune disease, doctors agree that clean eating is the way to go. Raphael Kellman, MD of New York’s Kellman Center, says that Saldana’s gluten and dairy-free diet is an effective way to handle Hashimoto’s.
“[Hashimoto’s thyroiditis] can be healed by addressing the root causes,” Kellman explained to Page Six. “Cutting out gluten if you have a gluten intolerance, and avoiding refined and processed foods can help. Find poultry, dairy and meat without antibiotics. Eating organic can make a huge difference because organic foods won’t have pesticides or chemicals that nonorganic foods have, which can trigger reactions.”
But it’s not just about her disorder. Saldana is also keeping her bones healthy.
“I had a great time in my twenties. Then your doctor says you’re losing calcium in your bones,” she said. “What the f—k is that?! I would hear those conversations with my mom and grandma, thinking I’d never get there … But all of a sudden it hits you. I s–t you not, it’s from night to day.”
The mother of twins is all about staying healthy and we certainly admire her for it.
Every Time Zoe Saldana Looked Like A Work Of Art
1. Elegance.Source:Getty 1 of 30
2. Hair flip!Source:Splash News 2 of 30
3. Flawless features.Source:Getty 3 of 30
4. Flirty in floral.Source:Getty 4 of 30
5. Her marriage to artist, Marco Perego, is enough to make us envious.Source: 5 of 30
6. Bad ass.Source: 6 of 30
7. Nothing is more beautiful than motherhood.Source: 7 of 30
8. And her cooking is similar to art, as well.Source: 8 of 30
9. Fresh-faced and gorgeous.Source: 9 of 30
10. Pregnancy looked amazing on her.Source: 10 of 30
11. Should she go short one day?Source: 11 of 30
12. Million dollar smile.Source: 12 of 30
13. Her Marie Claire cover was AHH-mazing and she knows it.Source: 13 of 30
14. Namaste.Source: 14 of 30
15. Throwback Zoe.Source: 15 of 30
16. Zoe's mornings be like...Source: 16 of 30
17. Yass, Zoe. Yass!Source:Getty 17 of 30
18. Heyyy Zoe. *waves*Source:Getty 18 of 30
19. Feeling herself.Source:Getty 19 of 30
20. All black everything.Source:Getty 20 of 30
21. Perfect frame.Source:Getty 21 of 30
22. Is there a color that doesn't look good on her? Nah.Source:Getty 22 of 30
23. Slay.Source:Getty 23 of 30
24. *Inserts praise hands*Source:Getty 24 of 30
25. All white everything.Source:Getty 25 of 30
26. Serve!Source:Getty 26 of 30
27. *Inserts heart eyes*Source:Getty 27 of 30
28. 10's across the board.Source:Getty 28 of 30
29. When bae gives you that look.Source:Splash News 29 of 30
30. Stunt.Source:Getty 30 of 30