Aretha Franklin was an icon that so many will never forget. Fred Hammond spoke about being from Detroit just like Aretha and how proud she was of it. He watched her transition from “Ri-Ri” to Aretha Franklin.
Fred even recalls the day listening to the radio and crowned the Queen Of Soul. She set a trend like no one has ever and even spoke about how she would talk to fans while doing her own grocery shopping. Aretha meant so much to the music industry and we will forever miss her.
Listen to “Get Up! Mornings with Erica Campbell” 6am ET.
- Get Up! News Roundup: How Black History Could Be Made At The Oscars, Michael Jackson’s Estate Suing HBO & More
- Travis Malloy On Music: “Lord I Don’t Want To Write Another Song Unless It Comes From You”
- Smokie Norful, Shirley Caesar & More Tapped To Perform At Tom Joyner’s Fantastic Voyage
- William McDowell Inks Deal With Integrity Music Label
- R. Kelly Charged With 10 Counts Of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse
- School Principal Apologizes After Students Were Told To Act Like Runaway Slaves For Black History Month
- Church Administrator, Wife Charged After Stealing $1.2 Million From Congregation To Go On Vacation
- LeBron James’ ‘Space Jam 2’ Set For 2021 Release
- What We Know About The Death And Alleged Murder Of Tamla Horsford
- Get Up! News Roundup: Nike Unveils Icon Jersey For Colin Kaepernick, Jussie Smollett In Police Custody & More