Chance the Rapper joined forces with Google to support computer science studies at Chicago public schools.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
A $1 million donation was given by the tech giant to Chance’s nonprofit, SocialWorks, which advocates for youth empowerment using art, education and civic engagement as tools, ABC Chicago reported Wednesday. Google also gave $500,000 to the schools’ Children First Fund for computer science programming, a field with an underwhelming number of Black professionals.
Chance paid an unexpected visit to students at Adam Clayton Powell Paideia Community Academy in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood and announced the donation Wednesday morning. Students had participated in a coding workshop with Google employees.
The three-time Grammy winner also took to Twitter and expressed his happiness over Google’s donations.
Google also wants to close the education gap. The company provided a $1 million grant to The Hidden Genius, a non-profit supporting the representation of young black men and boys in STEM, in November.
“The research says that 65 percent of grade school kids are going to be working in careers that don’t exist today,” said Justin Steele, Google.org, “and it’s important for those kids to learn the skills for tomorrow.”
- Syleena Johnson Shows Off 50-Pound Weight Loss Ahead Of Her Fitness And Figure Competition Debut
- 2 Confirmed Dead, Multiple People Injured In Naval Air Station Pensacola Mass Shooting
- Animated Short ‘Hair Love’ Is Finally Online For Every Little Black Girl To See!
- Theater Junkies, Rejoice! Check Out These Trailers For Some Of The Most Highly-Anticipated Upcoming Movies
Everyone And Their Mama Was Proud Of Chance The Rapper’s Grammy Victories
1. History.Source: 1 of 7
2. Zac Efron is a huge fan. Who knew?Source: 2 of 7
3. Steph Curry is proud.Source: 3 of 7
4. Even Larry King had to chime in.Source: 4 of 7
5. Chicago Public Schools congratulated the star on a job well done.Source: 5 of 7
6. Bishop TD Jakes felt the Chance spirit.Source: 6 of 7
NEWS ROUNDUP: Chance The Rapper Says No To $95M Chicago Police Academy; Trump’s Beijing Trip; Spacey Loses Film
Chance The Rapper & Google Donate $1.5 Million To Chicago Schools For STEM was originally published on newsone.com