After a career spanning three decades at BET, Debra Lee is stepping down from her position as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer effective Monday, May 28. Lee, who began her career with the company as its first VP and General Counsel in 1986, was elevated to President and COO in 1996 and became Chairman and CEO in 2005.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“I could not be prouder of the enormous amount of talent and creativity at BET Networks today and I will always be BET’s number one fan, rooting for each and every one of you as you continue to break barriers and share your authenticity with the world,” Lee said in a statement. “I leave with pride, gratitude, and joy for a life-changing professional and personal journey. Continue to do it “for the culture” and much success to you all. You deserve it.”
Some of BET’s biggest successes with Lee at the helm include the acquisition of The Game whose 2014 premiere was the most-watched sitcom premiere in cable TV history with 7.68 million viewers and the 2017 mini-series The New Edition Story which brought in 28.4 million viewers during its initial run last January, becoming the highest-rated TV biopic of all-time.
Under Lee’s leadership, BET launched BET.com, Being Mary Jane, The Real Husbands of Hollywood, “The BET Awards” and more.
- “No, I’m Not Nervous About My Wedding Night” Kierra Sheard And Fiancé Jordan Kelly Answer Fan Questions
- Deborah Joy Winans Hints At ‘Greenleaf’ Spinoff, Debuts New Single & More [EXCLUSIVE]
- Tramaine Hawkins Debuts Remastered Version of “Goin’ Up Yonder” Ft. Erica Campbell & Cast of ‘Greenleaf’
- Healthy Ever After: How Turmeric And Other Herbs Help Boost The Immune System
- Jackie Hill Perry Discusses The Significance Of The Book Of Jude & How It Inspired Her Devotional [EXCLUSIVE]
- Trailer For Hulu’s ‘Woke’ Series Promises Comedy And Living While Black Scenarios
- Simone Biles Opens Up About Impossible Beauty Standards In August Issue Of Vogue
- Black Protesters Arrested By NYPD Were Charged With Felony Way More Than White Demonstrators, Data Shows
- Rickey Smiley’s Daughter Aaryn Speaks Out For The First Time Since Getting Shot
- Video: Rare Tsunami Forms In Chesapeake Bay During Monday’s Storm